Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day #373 - Happy Easter!!

Easter is a happy time, a happy time, a happy time,
Easter is a happy time, a happy time for me
At Easter I remember when, Jesus came a live again
And this I also know is true, I'll be resurrected too

This is the poem my Mother taught us growing up and something we said every Easter Sunday after we had scoured the family room for hidden candy and found large Easter baskets filled with goodies and stuffed animals and before we dawned our new brightly colored Easter clothes to wear to church.

My favorite dress was white and lavender stripes. My mom made it. It was a tank dress w/a short sleeved jacket. I think the memory stands out mostly because, a) I did love the dress and, b) it was the first time my Mom told me I should probably learn how to shave my arm pits and start wearing deodorant. Ah, the joys of puberty.

Today Trav and I went to my parents house for Easter dinner. There was sooo much good food - ham, turkey, funeral potatoes, french onion green beans, corn, fruit, rolls, Keri's jello that was really desert and then 3 other deserts...I was stuffed.


After dinner we went outside and the kids all searched for plastic eggs filled with Candy, this would have been good enough for the kids, but then Mom, in her way of going over the top, pulled out a package of peeps for each kid and chocolate bunnies that Seerie and Elle made quick work of.


As you can tell, it was an absolutely marvelous day and everyone had a great time. The only thing missing was the Christensen clan...so sorry you weren't with us today.

Today was also Joleen's (Trav's Mom) Birthday. We celebrated early last week and had a wonderful Easter dinner there as well w/the only real difference being Joleen's baked/fried chicken that EVERYONE loves.

I had planned to call and wish Joleen a happy Birthday today, but Travis was very concerned that she wouldn't have anything to do since we all got together last week. I had called on Saturday morning and left a voice mail, but hadn't heard back and Trav was super insistent that I continue to call until I reached her. I actually got a little irritated after several conversations about it and told him to do it himself, but I am getting off topic...When I did reach her, I found out she didn't have plans, took Trav's recommendation and asked her to join us. 

This is one thing I love about my husband - he shows up for the people in his life when it matters the most. I love that Travis made sure his Mother was taken care of on her Birthday and it was fun having Joleen there with us today.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: See poem above...:)

3 comments:

  1. Man.....MORE PICTURES.....MORE PICTURES!!! I know I should be grateful for what I get......but MORE PICTURES!! Every one looks so good. I am so bummed we weren't there. Kinda crying a little. My kids had the dumpiest Easter around. They get the shaft on this holiday. Mostly cuz Kev seems to be out of town a lot on this date. I just don't get into it. We enjoy the meaning, and the reason for the season and discus the spiritual side and so forth. But last night even M was like, mom, why didn't the Easter Bunny come to our house. Awwwwwwwwwwww Geeeeeeeeezzzzz. Mom actually saved the day by sending candy our way. That is what I used for the 9 eggs I found laying around. I am exaggerating a bit toward the negative. Still. I remember Easter fondly as well. My favorite item mom made me was my purple and white skirt. That skirt made me feel like a million bucks! It was a wrap skirt (my fav) and it was so flowy with the ruffle that came all the way up the side. We were sure lucky. Still are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had tons of photos on this one...Don't be sad that you are away. You really do have a family away from family in Tina and the girls. I often tell my transferee's how brave they are for taking on the adventure of moving away from "home" - I've always admired you guys for daring to live somewhere else. When does Kev finally get home?

    I remember that purple skirt...same year as my favorite - Mom made both our favorites that year.

    Love you. HB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah.....that was a good year alright. The best. I don't know......he may be able to get home for a quick visit this weekend. We shall see. But yes, I do have a pretty great support system. No doubt there.

    ReplyDelete