Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day #371 - Do what you say you will

Today I actually left the office when I said I would. I don't think it made much of a difference when I got home on time except I didn't have an argument w/my spouse, but it did feel good to get home in time to make a new dinner we have planned to make for a while.

Travis loves the Zupa soup at Olive Garden and my friend from work found a recipe to mimic that soup. At the restaurant it doesn't seem so fattening, but it sure has some high fat ingredients including sausage, bacon bits and cream. I decided to follow the recipe exactly the first time and the next time we make it I will do it in a lower fat way to see if it really makes that big of a difference to the taste. The soup was very good (how could it not be) and I was happy to try the home version of one of Trav's favorite foods.

I do try to do what I say I will most of the time. I think sometimes I allow my obligations to people other than my spouse take 1st place. As I have thought about this recently I realized that I take it for granted that Travis, the person that knows me better than any other person in this world, will just understand and accept that I do my best. I know this is not a fair way to think and the expectation that my spouse should just accept 2nd priority is certainly not correct. The truth is that I also know Travis better than any other person in this world and I KNOW better than to set those kinds of expectations on him.

I guess the key to being true to my word is not making promises I cannot keep. This brings with it an additional set of challenges and creates a new set of disappointments, but we can't be perfect and I have faith that someday I will figure out the correct balance between promises, expectations and priorities.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The best way to keep one's word is not to give it."  ~Napoleon Bonaparte

1 comment:

  1. Napoleon may be on to something....... Soup sounds good. Speaking of soup, I made a killer, EASY chicken, rice, lemon soup last night. Believe it or not all the kids really liked it. It floored me. They never like anything. But more than one of them, on more than one occasion said how much they liked it. That is a keeper recipe for sure....maybe I will share it on my blog.
    You are a good woman......good to keep tabs on your relationship, and you are a good example of attempting to do just that.

    ReplyDelete