Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day #368 - Fear is Good

I allow a lot of things to hold me back and I will put fear at the top of that list; more specifically "fear of failure". What I am learning about the fear of failure is it prevents me from even trying new things. Add to that the fear of looking stupid, being judged, not knowing the answers, not being in control, getting hurt, etc. and life's choices begin to look very limited.

These past few months I have had the opportunity to step into my fear and BRING IT!! 6 months ago I was approached by a company to chat about possible employment that would give me an opportunity to advance my career (Chilly - if you read this, call me before you react). I was flattered and intrigued to be considered and then later asked to join their company. We shared many discussions over the next few months, but it just didn't come together in a way that would work for either of us and I decided to stick with my current position for the next move season at least.

Fast forward to two months ago and I get another call that they still want to move forward in a partnership...terrible timing since this IS the busiest season and I am hip deep in moves. Somehow I knew it was too much to ask that I have the opportunity to transition in November...of course it HAD to be March. Anyway, after much deliberation of the many things I would give up and the many things I may gain, after much prayer and begging for guidance, I finally decided to go for it. The minute I finally made a decision, things started to come together for me. I feel very good about my decision to do something new.

The things I will miss are countless, but mostly it will be the amazing people I work with both at my company and the client company. I have developed close friendships with many people over the years and even more professional relationships w/people I respect and love working with. I will miss the transferee's that I have had the pleasure to serve. I feel a bit like I am deserting the boat in mid ocean, but will do everything I can to make sure they are taken care of before I leave and the person replacing me is armed with the information necessary to assist them and I will be available to anyone that needs anything from me after I leave. 

The position I am going to is a promotion in title and is a brand new department for this company. I will be a lone woman running the ship and will be expected to grow the business opportunities within the company. As I have thought about how I will do this, I have felt some renewed energy and the same kind of excitement I experienced at the beginning of my career in Relocation as I found ways to grow the account I have worked on over the past 13 years. I know I am good at the job I currently do, but I also know I have been stuck creatively for the last several years at work. I also know there was no way to grow in my current position and I need to experience growth in my job to remain motivated.

That being said...I am scared to death that I may fail; I am even more afraid not to try...fear is good.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy." Dale Carnegie

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! Congratulations!! I am so excited for you. So now this will happen when?.....you said it had to happen in March, but March is past. So has it already happened? or did they bump it to November for you? Maybe I need a phone call. Very exciting. Love the leap of faith.....inspiring. Great quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first negotiations happened in November...the new agreement was put in place in March and I start the end of April at the new job. It will be an interesting few weeks...Love you. HB

    ReplyDelete