Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day #366 - Hunger Games w/Mazza

So...I read the Hunger Games series and have the best neighbor friend ever who took me as her plus one to preview the movie this evening.

First, she took me to dinner at Mazza - it is a Mediterranean Restaurant on 9th S. & 9th E. in Salt Lake City. My friend Kathy is very adventurous. She is the type of person that is always up for trying new things, loves ethnic food experiences and loves to meet new people wherever she goes. She is super easy to talk to and is a great listener...just an all around lovely person whom I am so honored to know.

When I walked into the restaurant I was surprised at how beautiful it was. There were lots of hanging lantern chandeliers w/colorful stained glass accents, copper posts with designs cut in them that were lit from within and I am sure create a lovely ambiance at night and probably cast designs on the floor and tables. The ceiling was also industrial, but painted copper as well w/large copper moldings all around the top of the walls. It was a very formal but warm feeling and felt like a special place to eat - like good for a special occasion dinner.

Anyway, the food was VERY flavorful and I am looking forward to taking Travis there since his tastes run in that same "ethnic adventure" venue.

After dinner we went to the movie and got some decent seats. I was surprised when the theatre wasn't quite full to capacity and the best part about that was when this big man sat RIGHT next to Kathy when there were many seats available on our row. I pretty much laughed hard inside and we did chat with him a bit before the movie started and he was a very nice guy (who hadn't read the book). After the movie she was all sad that he had sat right next to her like that - it was hilarious.

I know you are dying for a movie review...well, we all know the premise of the books - kids fighting to the death. The idea is actually quite appalling and while watching the movie I realized I had gotten used to the idea while reading the books. The movie does a good job of making the deaths quick and cutting away before it gets too gory, or the camera shakes so bad it is hard to tell what is going on, but it was still disturbing to see some of it. I REALLY did NOT like the shaking camera effect...it was hard to watch sometimes, especially at the first of the movie - I don't know why they filmed it that way.

I will say I LOVED all of the casting. I wasn't sure I would like Peta, but he grew on me. I was super surprised at the choice of Woody Harrelson for Hamish, but he was fantastic. I also liked how the movie really followed the book. There was only one real change and I thought the movie made more sense than the book in that regard - you will know when you see it. I also really liked the outfits - the girl on fire stuff turned out pretty cool.

I do recommend the movie; it was very good and being a little disturbed means it certainly wasn't boring. What a fun night.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” Albert Einstein

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great night! How are you going to beat that tonight for YOUR BIRTHDAY????? What are your plans? I need to call or text you girl. I will do that in a sec.

    Believe it or not miss "preview" somehow R and a few of his little buddies convinced myself and another mother to take them to the midnight showing last night. YOWSA. Got home at 3:30am. Hope to never do that again, sleep is soooooooooo much better than any movie could ever be. I will write more later. You are wrong....I was not sure what part your were referring to that they changed.....the boys only really noticed that the horn thing was way diff and the wharewolfs did not have the eyes of the deceased tributes.....what was yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mockingjay pin was given to Kat by her sister instead of the Mayor's daughter and it was a secret to wear it. In the book I thought the Mayor's daughter should have had a more featured part of the book since she gave Kat the mockingjay pin that became the symbol of rebellion in the districts, but she was very insignificant in the storyline and I thought it was sort of odd. I liked the movie's version of where the pin came from better.

    I thought the cornicopia thing was just as I pictured it in the book except maybe not metal. I actually thought I pictured it wrong in my head because it seemed such an odd thing, but it is a symbol of abundance, so I suppose it is very creative.

    I did notice the werewolf thing as well. I had a hard time keeping most of the tributes straight as it was and the wolves came out when it was dark so I decided I couldn't really see their features very easily...

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Did you like it? That was pretty cool of you to take them to the midnight showing...once in a while it is fun to have that sort of adventure...I am interested to know your impressions of the movie as well. Did it seem really excessively shaky to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes.....EXCESSIVELY SHAKEY INDEED. Headache me now! We just got home from Asheville, NC! I have been out of the loop friend. I just wanted to pop in real quick and say hello. I will catch up reading and maybe even get a spring break post done tomorrow. Love you!! The movie was pretty good. Now R and I have seen it twice....saw it with the rest of the fam over our trip. Definitely would have been fine only viewing it once....but it is all good.

    ReplyDelete