Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day #335 - P,P & Z

I am listening to an interesting book on tape right now..."Pride & Prejudice & Zombies"...that's right. I have seen it at the library several times and always pick it up, read the description, make a face and put it back on the shelf, but last time I was there I decided I needed to check it out.

If you are familiar with Pride and Prejudice, as anyone who knows me well - knows I am an expert at the story, read on...if not, you won't care for this post and I apologize for boring you.

Elizabeth and her sisters are trained in the Chinese arts as warriors in the slaying of Zombies, who are the result of a strange plague afflicting England. They are well known for their ability to slay many zombies at once and have no fear of brutally beheading one and all. The story is actually the one written by Jane Austen, but there are inserts of zombie adventures added throughout the original. One minute Elizabeth will be speaking of minding your manners and the next she will be throwing Chinese stars, round house kicking and lopping off heads...it is rather bazaar.

The thing I had to share with other Jane Austen fans, is the interesting changes made to the story line by the 2nd Author (should probably look up his name - there it is Seth Grahame Smith). Poor Charlotte Lucas is bitten by an undead creature just before she is to marry Mr. Collins. She tells Elizabeth and we watch Poor Charlotte (you must call her Poor...you must) descend into the undead predicament while Elizabeth is visiting her in Kent. Mr. Collins eventually has to behead Poor Charlotte and then offs himself by rope in a tree at Rosings...WHAT?? Weird...even for an "odious man" this seems a bit harsh...THEN let's turn to Mr. Wickham...I just got to the part where he is going to marry Lydia after their debauched elopement and it turns out he was in a carriage accident and is now paralyzed for life....WHAT? I just shake my head as things spin out.

I am undecided as to how much I like this book - I will say it is interesting and it isn't as violent as I make it sound...well it is, but it is so over the top it is like watching a "B" rated horror film - so fake it isn't scary...know what I mean?

The things people come up with...I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains." Seth Grahame-Smith, Pride & Prejudice and Zombies  

5 comments:

  1. Um......I am going to take a pass on this one. Does sound like a bit of fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post Script: Yes, a BIT of fun. It turns out that Wickham was actually beaten by Darcy and not really in a carriage accident...huh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I must admit I have never read Pride and Prejudice. But after reading a few of your posts that refer to it I really feel that I need to read it. Maybe not the zombie version though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - I didn't see your comment before today...YES, read Pride and Prejudice...if you like novels from that time period. I have always loved it. Let me know if you read it and what you think. HB

      Delete
  4. I keep meaning to tell you how much I LOVED P&P&Z. So, so funny. Isn't the reader just fantastic?

    I bought some P&P&Z post cards. They're the best to send to people (o:

    ReplyDelete