Monday, December 5, 2011

Day #318 - Ma's Party

I couldn't wait to get home and blog about Mom's Birthday party tonight. It is not her Birthday until Weds., but it was the best night to get as many people together as we could.

This is a big Birthday for Mom - she is 65 and has been counting down the years...that's right, the YEARS before she qualifies to receive Medicare. It is ironic because she hates government spending, but I guess this is ok since they have paid into it all these years.

At first we were going to have a big shin dig at her house and invite all the extended family and friends, etc. Then the siblings got to talkin' and we decided this would actually only cause her stress and anxiety...DUH - that sounds like a FABULOUS Birthday party. Instead we got together her favorite people in the world...her husband and her kids (& spouses) to celebrate. We were missing Melissa, Kevin & Travis, but they are all out of the state at the moment and it couldn't be helped.

I thought it would be funny to put together a Medicare Welcome Kit - & it was pretty funny:


A closer look at some of the stuff inside:


I think Mom loved it - the only thing in there I don't think they will use, and incidentally the first thing she pulled out, was some denture cleaners and brush. I think she shuddered at the thought she might need it someday. I just told her to clean her grout with the brush. The funniest part for me was when she pulled out the "Fortify Plus" and catching her look at Dad like she was very interested in trying it - like they had discussed it before. She liked all the gag gifts too - It was awesome; time and money well spent.

We all had a wonderful dinner and opened a few small presents and then they brought out the cake. Dad and I originally planned for him to do the cake. Travis asked me why I didn't put one of my Sister's in charge of that and give Dad a break...good idea, so I got Amy to work with Dad on it. Dad told Amy to get a sheet cake from Dick's Market (Mom's favorite cake maker) and Amy did - it serves 96, but it was beautiful and HUMONGOUS!!! A very impressive display...


It was also very delicious. After we served up 1/4 of the cake around the table Mom took it upon herself (since Amy chickened out) to go to two adjacent tables and ask them if they would like a piece. We were all laughing and a bit proud when we heard her say, "it is my Birthday and I am wondering if you would like to share a piece of my cake with me?" There were takers at each table and our servers each took a piece at her invitation as well.

It was such a nice night. Olive Garden was quiet on a Monday night and it was nice not to have the grand kids there so we could all chat and no one was distracted or needed to leave early, etc.

Now, just because Melissa is going to read this, I have to say, "yes, we were originally going to go to Chuck-a-Rama (One of Mom's favorite places), but we wanted a more quiet atmosphere so decided on Olive Garden instead. I got the gift cert for OG's and you bought Mom's dinner for her."

I Love My Family:


I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "And thank you for a house full of people I love.  Amen."  ~Terri Guillemets

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, yes, I was totally thrown of with the "we were at Olive Garden" statement....my heart skipped. I was like, oh no, but my GC was for Chucks....! Phew, the scare was short lived.
    Awwwwwwww, looks like so much fun. I can't wait to call and talk to mom about it. Great Gag basket! Looks like a TON of stuff! Man would I have been able to add some stuff to that bad boy....couponing lends itself well to exceptional deals for the aged.
    Glad it was a wonderful time. Thanks for including me in the fun by sharing your re-cap. You're the best!!!

    ReplyDelete