Monday, July 18, 2011

Day #238 - Stampeding

I haven't been blogging this weekend because I actually went out of town...the Nephi Stampede...yes, that is right...the Nephi Stampede.

The Stampede consists of 3 nights of parades - 1) the Horse Parade, which we unfortunately missed; 2) the Float Parade, which was unfortunately slow moving w/only 1 band, but on the bright side had more then a few horses, some amazing looking mules and lots of Royalty (of the County kind) in bright dresses and crowns; 3) the Bathing Beauty Parade, which I would have refused to go to even if everyone else had wanted to...Just KIDDING - of course I would have gone.

BUT...Parades are not the ONLY Brilliance of the Nephi Stampede...there was also a 5k race that my sister and her kids ran in (M took FIRST place in her class and I think was the 4th or 5th woman overall - NICE), a waffle breakfast at my Aunt Darla's house (a mountain man breakfast in the park put on by the Lion's Club if preferred), a Car Show (attended by my Dad, Travis and 2 nephews), booths with goods for sale and a Rodeo stretching over two nights that was interesting and worthwhile.

I also got to spend time with the Hall Cousins on my Mom's side, whom I quite like. Two of my fondest memories with them as a kid was a) throwing peas at each other at Grandma's house during Thanksgiving dinner; b) hunting for night crawlers, tickling their bellies to pull them out of their holes, then selling the fresh bate to fishermen - not a bad summertime gig.

In the interest of spelling the word correctly, I looked it up (I often 2nd and 3rd guess my spelling and then I get confused and have to resort to the "look up") here it is:

STAMPEDE - noun
1. a sudden, frenzied rush or headlong flight of a herd of frightened animals, especially cattle or horses.
2. any headlong general flight or rush.
3. Western U.S., Canada . a celebration, usually held annually, combining a rodeo, contests, exhibitions, dancing, etc.
I think we experienced some of all 3 this past weekend - I also got to spend more time with my Parents, my husband, my sister and her kids and my brother's youngest, which was fun and probably deserves it's own entry. For today, I am grateful for the opportunity to do something different, to have soaked up a bit of sun and to spend time with people that I love.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "It's my first Rodeo!!" My Dad, Cortney Dana at age 67...Good for you Dad!! Go get 'em Cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment