Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day #233 - Not the Only One...

My roof leaks...not terribly, but still...

I REALLY HATE to say this, because it is pretty lousy of me, but I'm glad to know I am not the only one in the neighborhood with a leaking roof. My next door neighbor took a section of his roof off last week - totally rotted thru. Another neighbor around the corner had half his roof off as well. Would it be terrible to take pictures? If you have to ask...

The reason this is on my mind is it rained HARD this evening and I thought about my own issue and THEN I thought about my neighbor and hoped they had that plastic nailed down good and tight so no water poured into their kitchen. I don't even look for my leak anymore because it is too frustrating to think about something I can't do anything about. I have talked myself into not worrying about it so much since it is on the section that USED to be the exterior side of the house before the addition of the garage - it used to be ok for water to run down the siding...so it must still be alright. I just hope I'm not missing the wood for the trees.

PHRASE - I used the phrase "sometimes I can't see the hills for the trees" - decided to look it up and found out I got it wrong. Turns out I got the usage wrong as well. I meant it as missing the details due to only looking at the big picture...should have been the opposite.

From THE PHRASE FINDER: this phrase means..."Too beset by petty things to appreciate the greatness or grandeur; too wrapped up in details to gain a view of the whole. In America we are likely to use the plural, 'woods,' or possibly to substitute 'forest,' but 'wood' is the old form and is preferable.

Yes, the saying is at least five hundred years old, and probably a century or two could be added to that, first known recording in 1546 in John Heywood who wrote 'Plentie is no deinte, ye see not your own ease. I see, ye can not see the wood for trees.' 

Just sharing...I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment