Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day #72 - Maybe

Maybe I will get to that quilt I am making...maybe I will start that diet and wear that 1980's shirt again...maybe I will call those relocation prospects, maybe I will write that book that exists only in my head...


Life is full of maybes...those elusive goals that sit in our minds and take up space. Perhaps you are one of those people that accomplishes everything you set out to do, but if not, your good intentions sit in your mind and fester. While you are out visiting your neighbors you are thinking about cleaning out your closets, while you are at your exercise class you are mentally checking off that task and moving on, in your mind, to cleaning your house. Whatever the situation is, you have those "things" on your list that "need" to get done.

Today we heard from a management coach that gave us several challenges...the first, and the easiest to explain, was to make a list of all the maybes in our lives and make a decisive action on them within the next 48 hours (I will give myself through the weekend). This means if I have a closet full of clothes in a size I cannot wear, I either get rid of them or make a decisive action toward dieting (my intention since I was 12 years old) OR I say to myself "I am NOT going to diet" and then I let it go and get rid of the "maybes" in my closet. HUH, is that possible? Maybe not, but it gives me a different perspective.




The point of the exercise is to acknowledge and take action around the fact that we all have good intentions, BUT we don't always follow through on them. If we follow through, that means we are interested in the alternate outcome...if we don't...we are not ready...why torture yourself on the things you are not ready to accomplish? Move on! If there is a better way for you right now...just move forward. If you do not move on, you will be stuck in the same perspective for the rest of your life, until you do move on or change your perspective.

This is one of those obvious principles that always sound more amazing when talked about in front of a group. I do love thinking...

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Things that came apart could be put together again, but never exactly the same.” -- Deb Caletti, 'The Six Rules of Maybe' 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Awesome! If I lived closer I would pay a fee (a small one, because you do a pretty sweet job recapping the speakers) to come to all these classes with you. YOU ARE SPOILED. I hope you know that. YOU ARE LUCKY. I hope you know that. YOU ARE WORTH IT. I hope you know that.

    I (we) are in the middle of one of those maybes as I type, I can hear the scrubbing in my ears now. That makes me happy, mostly that it is currently not me scrubbing at the moment.

    Hmmmmm, I am going to have to think about this one. What maybes are lurking out there for me? What can I clear out of my space and move on from?

    What is the book in your head about? What is the premise? The gist? The category? A romance like moms? hehehehe.....

    ReplyDelete