Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day #64 - Mag Rant

Over the last few years I have subscribed to 3 different magazines:

Oprah, Good Houskeeping and Ladies Home Journal

I stopped subscribing to magazines a while back because I don't seem to read them when I get them, but when I wasn't getting them I suddenly felt like I was missing out. Then I found myself buying them when I was sitting in line at the grocery store...ah, I am a weakling and apparently an easy, predictable sell. the problem was, I would begin looking at the tabloidish magazines and buy those instead...I admit, every once in a while I can't resist taking a peak at how "celebrities are just like me" and end up buying one.

So, I relented and now receive the 3 magazines each month. I love getting the new magazine in it's plastic wrap, un-peeling it to uncover a surprise celebrity on the front (well, surprising except with O magazine - the only surprise there is how will Oprah's hair look this month?) Now I have a bathroom FULL of magazines...take a look.



Pretty messy...you may notice Trav and I both have a magazine open and ready to go in an emergency...Trav's article is on biking (of course), mine is on marriage (go figure). I know it is funny all my magazines are in the bathroom, but I know we are not the only ones that get a good peak at an article here and there in the laboratory.

Anyway, I just gave away many Oprah's to my Mom, but I still have a bunch that I felt have some articles of interest I need/want to get to. I sort of started laughing this evening when I was thinking about what to write and I saw the October issue of O magazine with "101 Best Pieces of Advice EVER!!" Oh..I thought...I should pick a piece of advice to write about...

Well, try to decide which piece of advice you will pick out of the TOP 101 best Pieces Ever...give me a break. Here is some advice...stop buying magazines. It may not be a bad idea after all to just buy the one or two here and there at the grocery store no matter how great a deal the 1 year subscription looks in comparison. At least I won't have a stack of them all over the house...ok...bathroom.

But, in closing, here is a little gem...Best Excuse Ever? "My phone died"...whose gonna buy that? I still cannot help loving Oprah...sigh...I will probably always want her advice no matter how ridiculous it might be or how many magazines I don't read and when I do sit down with a magazine, I admit to enjoying it.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The best advice touches the part of you that knows it's true." Oprah

1 comment:

  1. Here is my secret for getting my magazines for a steal. Our local library sells them for .25 each. I can't tell you how many excellent, magazines I have purchased there. Even when mom and dad were in town, I got them in on the spoils.
    Secondly, just borrowing them from the library satisfies my workout stealing needs. I go through them and mark the pages I want to photo copy. I do them all at once and get a stack of new material I can utilize for new class ideas. I am teaching 6 this week.....my biggest week to date!! I am constantly compiling ideas and new classes.
    I hope you are still getting your Ensign in those plastic wraps each month : )
    I used to be totally spoiled at Our Clubs front desk....that place was jam packed w/ magazines. All the gossip, home, fitness info. I could pack in during 3 hours. That is another thing I will miss!
    Oh, yes, I also love it when I come home for a visit and Keri unloads all her workout mags to me!!! BULLS Eye! Plus Mom always has tons of eye candy laying around.
    Heck....if we knew you loved mags so much we would have invited you to order some from school a few weeks ago. Both mom and I "had" to help out Ryker by ordering 3 new subs.
    I love tearing apart my magazines to save recipes, fashion ideas, fitness, home, and so on........... I have little folders all over. Hmmmmm.....what am I going to do with all these great ideas??
    My hair inspirations go right up onto the back of my little closet door in the bathroom so I can oggle them regularly.

    ReplyDelete