Monday, October 22, 2012

Day #70 - Keeping it Real

A few weeks ago the West bound Canyon was down to 1 lane of traffic during 2 work days. I'd seen the warning signs for several days and just figured it would be during nighttime hours...not so. One day it took me 1.5 hours to get down the Canyon.

Now, I will be the first to admit I am not known for a natural reticence on the road, I do get a little worked up when other driver's are not as gracious as I am (:0). On this particular day I was doing my best to patiently merge into the middle lane and this big 'ol truck pushed up on the car in front of it so I could not get in. Everyone knows it should be every other car that gets let into a merge situation...I yelled at the car, may have used a swear or two, and did my best Cher in "Moonstruck" impression with the back of my hand gesticulating at the fellow (no finger though).

I stayed worked up for a few more seconds and then moved on. UNTIL, I get to my office and see that exact big truck in MY office parking lot. How do I know it is the same truck? Who else drives around in a huge black truck with a bug visor in the image of the flag of the United States of America?

Now I am worked up for a whole different reason - whose car is this? Who did I Cher gesture on the open road? Did they recognize me? Oh well...I may never know.

I have been working hard to manage my reactions and temper, as you know, but I thought this story was a good reminder that you never really know who is watching you...be mindful.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.” --Scott Cherney, 'Red Asphalt'

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't it cost anything to be mindful?
    Then why does something so free have to be so hard!
    xo keep up the good work, you'll receive complete enlightnment in no time I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that sounds real alright. I am let down that you didn't figure out who the driver was. I thought you were going to have a confrontation, and then a great laugh together. I didn't feel any closure with this one. geeeeezzzz.

    I doesn't cost a thing. I benefited from someone paying attention today a few times. I was on a shopping trip to Publix, standing there mulling over what Halloween candy to purchase, when my favorite cashier came over to me and slipped a paper into my hand, I looked down, it was a $5 off $55 coupon that expired today, she said I saw you come in, I don't have $55 right now, but I hope you can use it. SWEET!!! She was paying attention!

    Second, had to pick up several cases of water, capri sun, bulk utensils and on and on for our ward trunk or treat this Fri. I was man handling my flat bed cart towards the door of Sams Club......literally dreading the unload into my car, knowing I was going to encounter my friend "Sweat Fest" . The lady at the door who checked my receipt said, would you like some help out to your car? Wood EYE?? Heaven's yes. Please. She said there is a gentleman right out there. It was wonderful. She was paying attention!!! It cost her nothing. I didn't even know they offered assistance like that. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes...I am absolutely close to enlightenment for sure - lol.

    M - I am paying attention to see if I can figure out who the driver might be. I too am not completely satisfied by the ending of the story.

    I am glad you are noticing the many small kindnesses that occur each day in your life and more than that, I am happy your are accepting them.

    XO - HB

    ReplyDelete