Monday, June 4, 2012

Day #22 - That's What We Get...

...for getting our hopes up. I am fairly disappointed to write we will not be hosting a foreign exchange student this year after all. My background check came back and my shady history done did us in...Just KIDDING!!

We knew the chance was a slim one because all the spots allotted in our particular district had already been filled, but our counselor made it seem close to a slam dunk...or maybe a 12 ft. jump shot...that he could squeeze one more into the district...who know we were looking at a Shaquille O'Neal foul shot.

I don't know why I am certain, but I am, that all our great adventures for the Summer just went out the window w/that rim-bounce-and-out. I think this means I am too lazy to do things for myself, but willing to get it done for someone else. THIS IS ANNOYING. I am going to have to re-evaluate the situation and make some corrections.

I am seriously considering talking Travis into taking me to the "Sound of Music Sing Along"...That's right, a sing along. I looked at the flyer for an unnecessary length of time the other night picturing Travis singing "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" or my personal favorite "When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when you're feeling sad"...I should sing this to Travis tomorrow if his lip is still swollen from the bee he nearly inhaled the other day when out riding his bike.

Poor Travis - The side of his face swelled up like he had a huge tobacco dip in his jaw...He was just riding along the trail and a bee flew in his mouth...I am chuckling a smidgen thinking about it. He tried to spit it out immediately and the darn thing stung the inside of his lip. He looks 100 times better after a few days, but it is still swollen a bit and we have him taking some allergy stuff to help. I guess we are not all boring here at the Barker's.

What I actually thought the minute I received the news about the student was, "huh, I guess there is something better coming through for Travis and I this year"...First reactions are nothing to sneeze at...I'm going with that assumption and we will apply for the exchange student at the right time for next year. Besides...think of how much more disappointing it would be for the student that didn't get picked to visit America this year and you cannot stay in 10th grade forever.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.” Alexander Pope

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhhh.....I almost missed this post. I was rummaging back through them just now and caught this guy. Sorry to hear that, but yes, I agree, just makes room for another opportunity. hmmmmmm.....

    Sound of music sing along.....I am curious about that. Trying to picture the set up, where? who? the cost? etc. Talk about fun songs to sing though, sounds like a blast.

    It is hard to expect nothing.....easy to say, but hard to really convince yourself of.

    ReplyDelete