Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day #24 - Booking to Work

I may have mentioned before that my company has a book club...this months selection is "Tell to Win" by Peter Guber. Peter is in the entertainment industry so telling a good story is right in his wheel house. The book is about using stories to connect to people to achieve an end result. It sounds a bit manipulative in some ways, but I can think of many times when I have used a story to clarify a point I am trying to make or create perspective to strengthen my position in an argument, raise money for fundraisers, etc. Unfortunately, I left the book at my office so could not start it this weekend as planned, but I hope to get several chapters under my belt before our next book club meeting on Weds.

(Seque Alert) I can't quite believe how cool this company is that I work for. I found out one of my bosses was a life coach before he started this company...DUH, I should have guessed, but I had the opportunity to ask him a question the other day in our one on one meeting and was basically treated to a personal coaching session.

As we were leaving the meeting I told him I believe it was the law of attraction that led me to this job. I think he was surprised, but I told him how I had been consciously "putting it out there" that I was open to change & growth when we first met. I must not be one of those immediate manifesters since it took so long to come about, but I do think things happen at the speed and time frame we are able to accept...how perfect.

(Back on Topic) This week, as I begin to read the book, I plan to pay attention to the stories I hear. I am curious how often I hear stories during the week and how it affects my emotional reaction. I also wonder how often I use stories as examples...it might be an interesting observation and I may be surprised how often stories get used.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: “The most successful story tellers are also attentive story listeners.  They understand that it’s more important to be interested in their audience than to appear interesting.  Why? Because what they learn about their audience will determine how they tell their story.” Peter Gruper, Tell to Win

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOUR JOB! Thanks for inviting dad and I to join you today. Very fun peek into your daily surroundings, and the people you work with. Made me want to dawn a skirt, jacket, and pumps and get out there and join you. I am excited about your book club and the book choice, I may pick up a copy. I am going to try and pay attention as well to the stories that are always being thrown around.

    ReplyDelete