Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day #7 - It IS Brain Surgery After All

I took the Gallup test I was to take this weekend and got my results back...they are interesting, but tonight I find myself wanting to write about today instead.

Late last night I received a text message from an old friend asking Trav and I to join them for lunch today. This is unique because we have talked about getting together, but very rarely see it through, not because we don't want to, but life keeps getting in our way. This text said they would be coming up to Park City (very unusual occurrence) and I immediately said "of course we will be available"!! This is the same friend whose girlfriend of 10 years and our long time mostly on again, but sometimes off again friend, who had the brain aneurysm at age 37 recently.

I was so happy to see D looking so healthy when they showed up this afternoon. We were able to see her a few times in the hospital and it has been a few months now since she had surgery. When she went to her last Dr.'s appointment a few weeks ago, expecting to shut the door on this lousy experience, they informed her they were ready to prep for the 2nd aneurysm surgery..."the what?" - long story short, she had two aneurysms, but they only dealt with the one that burst first and now need to go in and take care of the 2nd one so it does NOT burst.

In listening to their story today I can tell it has really taken a toll on them both. Matt said it was like getting to the finish line victorious just to be stopped short by a punch to the gut. They were both devastated. In essence D will be going thru the exact same surgery she just recovered from only this time there is no blood on the brain. This is MAJOR brain surgery, more shaved hair, more scalping and numb head, more confusion and hospital food, more months of missed work, more worry and concern for her parents, Matt and her daughter....and this last part concerned her the most. D told me the worst thing of all was thinking about calling her mother to give her the news that she would be going back into surgery.

As we were eating lunch today, I asked D what was the most profound thing she has learned from this situation? Is there anything she felt she would never take for granted again? I asked the question thinking about all the daily things we do that we take for granted, from work, to cooking dinner, to walking the dog and she said, "I will always remember the friends and family that really came through for me during this time. I know how much I matter to those people and I will never forget what they did for me."

D's surgery is on Tuesday...please think of her as you go about your day on the 8th of May. I pray that her surgery will go as planned without complications, that the Doctor's hands will be steady and sure, that she will wake up with a clear mind, experience a quick recovery and that her family will feel confident and comforted during her stay.

I am so glad they thought to call us and that we were able to spend the afternoon with two of our oldest friends. Our friendship is full of memories - we were laughing hard as we reminisced about the good 'ol days. On the drive home Travis basically kidnapped them and made them drive up Guardsman's pass to see if the snow had melted yet and then we drove them around Summit Park for a bit...it was almost as if Trav didn't want to let them go...it was so good to see them.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Hmmm, how to "can a day?"  You know, those days that seem just perfect you want access to them whenever the need arises.  ~Jeb Dickerson

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww, yes. The last bit of soaking up your time together. Precious good. I will be thinking of your friend HB, and praying on her behalf. Please bless D. Glad you got to spend time with them and will be part of the memory of the entire process as it is looked back on. You guys have such great deep friendships. I really admire that in you and Trav. You get a friend and keep them. You seem to really make a point of reconnecting and staying synced.....and many times it is the other way, they make sure you stay connected with them. That is a true compliment to your character and the fact that you are a wonderful person, and a pleasure to be near.

    ReplyDelete