Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Day #20 - STILL Home Sweet Home

Travis and I lived in our first home for 12 years before we decided it was time to move up in the world; that there was just not enough room in our 980 sq. ft. house; that we HAD to have a garage (ok that was 100% me); that the home we had was JUST a beginner home...MOVE ON ALREADY!!! We should be WAY farther along in life by now!!

When we did move to Summit Park 2.5 years ago, we decided to keep our starter home and turn it into a rental property...why not? We could afford that small payment in a pinch during the vacant month or two and we get another tax write off while continuing to pay down the mortgage with income received from the rental. We have not regretted it and have been exceptionally lucky with the tenants we have had in the home.

Today I met our property manager at the house to do a walk thru since our AMAZING tenants are moving out (darn that exciting prospect of owning your own home!!) and to walk a prospective new tenant thru and it was like arriving back home after a long absence. It helps that the tenants have kept the yard up, something I worked HARD to get looking good w/flowers blooming in every season; there is a LOT of my sweat mingled in with that dirt. When I walked thru the house and saw and remembered all the things we did to that small house while we were living there I felt so nostalgic.

I remember painting those doors that fantastic orange/yellow color after tacking up 5 different paint samples for days to decide which color would be most inviting. All the light fixtures we replaced...WHAT A PAIN and THANK YOU to my brother Jason and my Dad who helped Travis and I manage NOT to electrocute ourselves and kill each other in the process. Replacing the bum wall to the shed...my Dad again. Painting one wall of the exterior of the house, seeing that after 2 full days, sanding, scraping, painting 2 coats of paint and the darn wall STILL looked like crap and finally paying the money to have siding installed. Planting that row of gorgeous roses...one new bush each year, and now they are glorious! Weeding that huge garden spot - goat heads! goat heads! goat heads!!!! The bane of my existence for YEARS and finally planting grass and installing sprinklers!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU again to my brother and Travis!!

Sitting outside on our chairs to watch the neighbors, visiting Mrs. Parrish, chatting with Larry and Debbie, waiving at Carr and Shawn, wondering what that guy next door did with his days since we rarely saw him. I keep thinking of things as I sit here...

I guess the bottom line is...I don't regret leaving that house, but I LOVE that we had the time we had there. I love that I learned so much from owning that home. I love that I am still learning from it today in a different way. I am so grateful that our tenants have been good to the home that holds so much love in it. I hope it can continue to add something lovely to the next person that lives there and I pray that person(s) will give it something positive to also be absorbed by those walls.

I apologize if I have written of these sentiments before - I probably have because I have big feelings attached to those years of memories. This evening after work, Travis and I sat on the dinner deck chatting about our respective days and I couldn't help thinking about the new memories we are creating here in this home as well. Wherever we are, there is home - did someone say that?...10 years from now...who knows what this place will be like.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.” Maya Angelou

2 comments:

  1. Awesome....that was (is) a cute little place. Lots of memories like you said, don't forget the time you half fell into the crawl space....now that there is a memory. OUCH! Nice look back HB......an enjoyable ride.

    Packing today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOOOO HEW!!! We are all looking forward to seeing you guys! Drive careful please! HB

    ReplyDelete