Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day #14 - We Are Serious...

So...Trav and I have applied to host a foreign exchange student...I just got a call from the organization hosting the kids and it sounds like we MAY have an opportunity to host this year. We have not been able to have children of our own and were thinking seriously about providing foster care, but have been worried we may not have the time to devote to the kids that need serious attention and special needs due to our full time jobs. Then a lady at my new job suggested this program we applied to last week.

These are amazingly brave kids that are looking for an experience in a new Country, leaving behind everything they know, to stay in a place they are unfamiliar with; can you imagine how crazy this would be? I have to hand it to them on the courage front...it would take a leap of faith to go to a totally foreign home by yourself. I think any kid that dares to do this is a kid I would like to know and I certainly expect to learn a lot from him or her.

The man who called told me this school district has already placed the allotment of students, but he is going to try to make a space for us. He will come to do an "in home" visit and interview in a week. I will say I am a little intimidated by the whole thing. I KNOW we are good people who have a lot to contribute, but at the same time I feel stupid answering some of the questions like "what do you like to do"....UH...Travis likes to mountain bike and I like to garden & read..."what do you do on the weekend"...UH...Garden and Mountain Bike...I sort of feel like we are totally boring, but we want to expand our experiences and this would definitely motivate us to help the student experience our culture.

I really hope it works out...it would mean eating dinner every night at the table instead of in front of the TV, planning our days and weekends to include things like bowling and free concerts at The Canyons and this group wants the kids to be involved in the Community, which we talk a lot about but don't do much to make it happen.

When I was a teenager my parents took on a foreign exchange student from a family that was having a difficult time adjusting to having her in their home. Sandra Sinder...Don't know if that is the correct spelling, but I have photos of her in my scrap book and remember her clearly. She was in my sister Amy's grade and they were pretty decent friends. She was tall, very pretty and fit fine with our family - she was funny and I don't remember any serious problems while she was staying with us. I remember attending a Catholic Mass with her and I haven't taken or had the opportunity to do anything like that since. It was so different from what I was used to and a super interesting experience.

I will say that knowing I have a super support system in my parents and siblings is encouraging and a relief to me. I am proud of both Trav's and my families and will be happy to share that relationship with anyone who comes into my life. The exciting thing is our families will also be excited to open their homes and hearts to anyone I bring into their lives...am I blessed or what!!??

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live." Flora Whittemore

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That sounds neat and unexpected. Go for it! I hope it works out also. I look forward to hearing what ends up transpiring.....big stuff all around.

    ReplyDelete