Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day #278 - Surprise Gifts

Several weeks ago I got a call from Mike Smith, Debi's husband. Apparently, he had stumbled upon a bike statue he felt Travis might like and had the idea to prepare a plaque to attach to it with Trav's Point 2 Point time on it and then give it to him for his Birthday since we would be out there at the right time. I about DIED with gratitude and excitement and promised to send the race results to him, which I did.

When I walked into their house on Sept. 21st I immediately spied the prize. They had set it on their shelf as a decoration to see if he would notice it and say something. I saw him look at it as he set down his bag, but he didn't say anything. Later that night, when Debi found out it was ACTUALLY his Birthday and not the day after (we arrived a day earlier then planned), she told Travis they had a present for him, but he had to guess what it was.

Travis grinned, stood up and walked into the house and straight to the statue. When he realized it was engraved he actually blushed with pleasure and then we all gushed for the next hour over the statue, over Trav's amazing accomplishment, over the fantastic friends we have that thought of such an amazing tribute.

I think Mike put it best when he said, "you have never received a birthday present from us before and you probably won't see one again, but this just seemed right for you...so we HAD to get it."

I don't know if they HAD to get it, but the point is they did...it was so fun to anticipate the gift they planned for him, have a TINY part in getting the info together for them and then to be there when he received it. It definitely went over better than the Road ID I got for him...total dud, but it makes me feel better that someone would know who to call if he ran into trouble while on a ride, so that is something.

The statue is even better then I imagined it would be - take a look:


Wish I would have thought of that!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Mike and Debi - YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses."  ~Chinese Proverb

2 comments:

  1. Oh Man, poor you Hug, forevermore any gift in comparison will be in this bad boys shadow. Wow. So beautiful and stunning. I love the streamlined look, the focus of the rider. I just realized the man IS the bike. How is it possible that it just got much more awesome?

    I can't keep from crying my eyes out....am I pmsing, or am I that much in love with the thoughtfulness of this gift??! These people know their recipient. They knew it when they saw it, and went for it. Even the extra step of engraving. man. I love that the engraving is on the top....kinda hidden in a way. Travs little extra.....but here is the deal, it is such a show stopper, a conversation piece, that every time a new guest steps into your front room BOOM, straight to the bike man.....hey, what's this all about? There you go, story ensues, they just learned a big part of who Trav is, he gets to share the extra hidden surprise if he chooses.

    I think I like it so much because even though that is only one element of who Travis is, it is a passion that he has evolved into. Did he always know he would be such a strong lover of biking? I doubt it. But that is who he is now, and I am sure he holds some pride for his accomplishments, and sweat and tears that have made those accomplishments that much sweeter and more memorable. It feels good to get a piece of tangible recognition for who you have worked so hard to become.

    That is very satisfying. To be known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M - you are so sweet. There IS something satisfying about being known. This is something that meant a great deal to Travis. I like to jokingly take credit for Trav's initial interest in biking - It was really our brother Jason who got him out and going and over time it has just grown in him. Thank you for your comments - I love that you get it. HB

    ReplyDelete