Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Day #60 - But that's not ALL...

I saved the 2nd half of my Summit experience for today...who can believe so much good stuff gets squeezed into 2 hours...my OTHER boss, John, also spoke to us on Tuesday.

It seems all month John has been focused on what we need to do in order to expect the best results from within ourselves...he uses the analogy of an orange...when an orange is squeezed hard enough, with enough pressure, the result is orange juice. No matter how hard or how many ways we squeeze the orange, it just will not produce apple juice.

So it is with us...when we are squeezed hard enough, we produce the results of whatever is within us, so how do we ensure the best results when squeezed?

1 - Clarity...in what we want in life and clarity in what it takes to get it (the path). John likened this to plans for building a house...once the idea gets put on paper and the plans are drawn, it takes the action to then build it. There are most always changes along the way, upgrades, walls are moved, etc. but the plan is detailed and the vision is clear.

2 - Gratitude. Anyone who reads my blog knows I am a big proponent of gratitude, but I liked that John suggested we be grateful for experiences we have had in the past (good & bad), to be grateful for what we have now, to be grateful for the ability to contribute to others and to be grateful for all that is possible.

3 - Experience. Mine - If I've done it before, I can do it again. Yours - If you can do it, I can do it. Drawing upon my own successful experiences in the past and also drawing on your successes can be used to inspire me to be and do better in all areas of my life.

4 - Integrity. Having integrity with others is simple for me. I am not saying I have never lied or not been completely up front in my life, but overall I love mankind and do strive to treat others with honesty and consideration. I cannot say I take the same pains with myself...how low a thought this is for me and it is not a new thought to me either. Oh, I am not a bad person, but I have not done myself any favors by breaking the promises I make to myself or by not doing what I know I need to do to execute the plan for my life (at least the parts I HAVE laid out). Ultimately, integrity to oneself is something that will produce that pure orange juice that will spill into all areas of life.

5 - You are not alone...Don't go it alone, it is not necessary.

John shared a story about this past month when he, George and a few agents from the office climbed Kings Peak with their kids. This has become a tradition in the office and I would actually like to go next summer (gulp - sounds like a plan forming). Apparently, John is afraid of heights, so is his 12 year old daughter - the final peak is 13,000 feet or higher; when climbing that high, most people experience altitude sickness (dizziness, shortness of breath, muscle fatigue, nausea) and this hike was no exception. When the children began to experience this altitude sickness, they became frightened and each father was left to deal with their own children and to talk them through this fear.

John talked about how difficult it was for him to not show his own fear to his daughter who looked to him for her own safety and guidance, who had total faith and trust in his leadership. He had to lead her with certainty, despite his fear. John talked about how he was also not alone, having made the journey with those he trusted and who had been through the experience before; he had their guidance and knowledge to lean on.

This is the case with EVERY endeavor we undertake and with EVERY experience we have in life. Whether we are starting a new career, looking to accomplish a new goal, going through relationship crisis, dealing with challenging children, preparing for a presentation, etc. We are not alone, even when we feel alone, we are not alone. I speak of mentors, coaches, friends, family, leaders and, yes, God. If you speak more in understanding from cosmic energy...that too. We are all connected and there is no reason to go it alone...it isn't even possible...of this I am certain.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.” Chief Seattle 

4 comments:

  1. Awesomeness! So how is the energy at your current job, compared to your prior job? I mean....all the stuff your bosses do....is it paying off for their employees/company? I don't see how it couldn't. Just curious about the daily dynamics at that joint. I would love to be there. How could you not succeed and climb higher, dig deeper, push further with those kind of cheerleaders heading the pack.

    Three months into it....(or whatever the actual number is). Did you make the right choice to change jobs? Regrets? or just wondering why you waited so long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's thirsty?
    Doesn't that make you want to BE Better! And to do it right away? I guess that's why he, (and you in turn) shared it.
    xoxo A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regrets? No, never. I miss some things about my other job...working for a big company does have some perks and it was, or rather felt, secure because it was so familiar. This was also the biggest problem for me - I wasn't growing.

    Did I wait too long? No - the timing was perfect, because I was in a position, mentally and emotonally, to make the change and my new employers were ready as well. Looking back I can see how everything happened as it was supposed to and I remained unattached to the outcome and that was perhaps the greatest lesson of all.

    Remaining unattached is harder as I have begun prospecting for new business, but the BEST part of working where I am is the like mindedness of the people that are there. Those that cannot get behind all the energy - don't last, and those that do get behind it and follow the processes outlined and coached into them will and do excel.

    The company had a record closing month in August, took on 30 (I think that is the number) agents and continue to move toward the #1 office in the state...yes, things are going good.

    If I were to pinpoint any one thing that is challenging...it is comparing my current self to the self I know I want to become...this is the danger of working around so many successful, inspiring people - it is also the blessing. Thanks for asking :) HB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for answering......just what I was hoping for. I figured that about the people that were just not into "that kind of thing"..... it is not for everyone, sadly. Love hearing about the companies success......man, it is working!!!!! HOW COULD IT NOT!!!? Super exciting.

    ReplyDelete