Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day #49 - Summer Salads

My sister Amy invited me to go to a cooking class with her last Friday. Normally my auto response is "I can't" because the weekends belong to Trav and me, but since I have been looking for ways to spend more time with my sisters I decided to go for it. So glad I did.

I've only ever been to one other cooking class and thought it was fun. Amy and Lance had originally bought tickets with a more exotic class in mind, but ran out of time and Summer Salads was the only spot left and Lance had a conflict with a Daddy Son thing, so I was the lucky one that said yes.

The class was taught by a Lail Hardman who studied culinary arts abroad (in Europe) for 6 years and now owns a store at Gardner Village called Taste Culinary Boutique. There were 5 salads she made and we got to sample them all.


The funniest thing is we both made one of the salads and brought them to family dinners today. I made the Pasta Salad w/Grilled Eggplant and Feta & Amy made the Chickpea, Chorizo & Artichoke Salad. I think they both turned out quite well. The other salads are Greek Salad, Watermelon Cashew Salad & Spinach & Pancetta Salad (very good). I didn't really think I would be that impressed with salads, but there were all very good.


After eating 5 salads we sat in Amy's car and chatted for several minutes sharing wisdom, talked about the class and just having sister time in general...it was awesome. I fully intend to keep the receipts we got and I am going to see about going to another class.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "A perfect sister I am not, but thankful for the one I've got." 


Trying to figure out the new phone...



3 comments:

  1. Cool!! Way cool! lucky sister. I will never forget the one "real" cooking class I went to. It was with mom when I was pretty young. She had gotten a new Kitchen Aide or something, when she purchased it, it came with 6 cooking classes or something like that. Mom.....do I have this right?? Do you remember those classes?? I loved going to those with you. I may have gone to two. They demoed how to use the bread kneaders, and baked the bread, we got to sample all that they made. It felt really exciting and special.

    I would enjoy doing something like that again....especially with a sister or mother. : ) or hey......I may even take my own little daughter, or even Ryker would go crazy over a cooking class!! He is an aspirering chef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way.....Great photos of you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those salads really were amazing, and the sister time- so long over due. Thanks Huggie I loved it! Min we'll have to get you the fab five salads. You and Ryk could go to town.
    xoxo A

    ReplyDelete