Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day #78 - Just Jump On!

I told you our monthly Summit meeting was held this week. Well, my boss, George, did speak again this month, but a different John, not boss John, but agent John, spoke for the first 20 minutes.

John has cerebral-paulsy, a neurological condition that creates short circuits in the brain's communication to the body. John explained normal brain function as high definition television and his brain he characterized as more like a walkie-talkie.

This condition has created many challenges in his life that he has been able to overcome from riding a bike, running a 12 minute mile, getting a college degree in Economics & English while serving in the student body government to creating a successful experience in real estate.

John had us tearing up and rolling on the floor laughing. One story he told was how he seriously injured his back just over a year ago in an over-exuberant weight lifting exercise. John already has a limp and some difficulty getting around easily, but this injury made it so he had to crawl from his car to his house and/or office. As a result, several of the guys we work with started to meet him so they could piggy-back him into the office where he could use his wheel chair to get around more easily.

One of these agents, Curtis, went on a listing appointment with John. When the homeowners agreed to list with them, John said, "Great - may I lay down on your floor while Curtis reviews the paperwork with you?" Once the paperwork was signed and John had made his way to the couch, Curtis knelt down on one knee and said, "Hold on" while he started to gather his bag and things up off the floor. John thought Curtis said "Jump on" and proceeded to jump onto Curtis, knocking him to the ground while John flipped over his head. This story only gets funnier the more I think about it.

During this period of unbelievable pain, John said he had a lot of reasons not to work or to ask "why me?" Instead he asked and answered the following 3 questions:

1) In order to get where I need to be, what HAS to be done?
2) Out of this list, what am I still capable of doing?
3) Who can help me with the items I cannot do on my own?

From these 3 questions John came up with the plan that would take him from 2 listings to 8 in a matter of a few months. These listings transitioned to buyers and sells that ultimately paid his medical bills.

John is upright again and I am so glad I had the opportunity to hear his story and learn more about him. I hope they will invite other agents to share with the company - it is inspiring and very interesting to learn about the people we see each day.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” --Winston Churchill

1 comment:

  1. How Awesome and inspiring. Great life story. Thanks for sharing the motivation. I have been challenged by our Choffy Founder to set a few loftier goals with my business. I plan on putting some of these gems down on paper for myself.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete