Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day #88 - Goooaaaaaaallllllll......

I saw a joke today...it had two animals sitting side by side and the first one asks, "What are new year's resolutions?" The 2nd animal answers, "a 'to do' list for the first week in January." Also today, I went to a meeting where my boss talked about setting goals. He gave some good pointers that I thought were worth sharing.

We all have different roles we take on in life...some of my roles are: Spouse, Sister, Daughter, Friend, Relo Director

My boss encouraged us to set at least one goal for each role. BUT...first you need to determine what you "Value Most" so your goals and what you actually value will be equal. For instance...if I want to sell 100 homes, but what I value most is evenings and weekends with my family...most likely my goals will not be realistic. If what I can DO with the money I can make by selling 100 homes, ultimately gives me more time with my family or what I can do with the money I earn makes the temporary sacrifice of working evenings and weekends worthwhile...these things can be negotiated. The important thing about sacrifices are...they have to be temporary. Here are the questions he wanted us to ask about each of our roles:
  • What do you truly want?
  • What do you value most?
  • Why do you want to achieve this goal?
  • Is the temporary sacrifice worth it?
  • What mindset is required to achieve this goal?
  • How do you intend to achieve the right mindset (coaching, training and skills, etc)?
  • What accountability will be required?
This is what I will be spending time thinking about the rest of this week. I also stopped by Office Max to buy some items for Trav and I to create vision boards - I can't see my future lately and I don't think it is because I don't have one, I just haven't thought too far ahead lately. I think this is an important part of keeping your eyes on the prize...first you have to know what the prize is...I am going to talk Travis into making one with me...wish me luck!

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "A year from now you may wish you had started today.” --Karen Lamb

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately as well. Taking my time sort of. I want to answer those questions deliberately, and with purpose. I really want to consider what I want 2013 to look like. We each have control over so much, things to let go of. Different practices to embrace. It is exciting and ever changing....no more so than at the start of a new, clean slate year.

    GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete