Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Day #87 - Flew Season

Yes, "flew" season...time just keeps flying by like the wind. It seems so crazy that it is the end of yet another year. How does it happen so quickly?

I have been nursing a cold for going on three weeks now and Travis is now well on his way, hacking and blowing his nose sore. I think getting sick made December go quicker than planned. I was totally unprepared for Christmas until the last minute, which always leaves me feeling hurried and un-Christmas-like.

Luckily, I was responsible for our office giving this year and this gave me some feeling of the Christmas Spirit. We collected coats for The Road Home shelter. It was slow going at first, so I got clever and bought a bunch of hangers. At one of the office meetings I asked who would take a hanger and bring back one coat...I got commitments for all the hangers. My boss carried his around the office all day and it cracked me up to see it going up and down the hall as he talked to the agents. As a result, by the coat deadline, we had a huge pile of some very nice, warm coats.


Really...I could barely get them all loaded into my car. I was super happy with our agents efforts and care around the project and was also happy to be involved in something good during this season of giving.

Around here The Road Home becomes a very big deal around Christmas. The radio and TV stations all have contests to see whose listeners can raise the most money for the shelter. This particular shelter is geared around families and works with other shelters and programs that help people get back on their feet after finding themselves homeless. One of the TV news stations asked the director how many people the shelter can hold on any given night and the guy said, "There is always room for one more". I thought this was the most amazing statement - no one, who is in need, will get turned away. 

The other night the temperature dropped to 3 degrees...as I turned my kitchen sink's water on to drip thru the night, so the pipes wouldn't freeze, I thought about some of the coats that would hopefully be keeping someone a little bit warmer who was not as fortunate as me...

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "There is always room for one more."  Director for The Road Home homeless shelter

2 comments:

  1. Heather, you never cease to impress me! That coat hanger idea is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Chillygator. That quote felt like came straight from Jesus' mouth when I read it. How wonderful that there are people out there full of love and charity. Examples to the rest of us trying to get with it.....(speaking for myself).

    BOAT LOAD OF COATS!!! Awesome.

    Way to be a part of something bigger than yourself HB. : )

    ReplyDelete