Monday, April 29, 2013

The Week in a Nutshell

No real point to this post...just a snapshot of the weekend:

I found out yesterday our next door neighbors are getting chickens...poor birds. I think the raccoons will be trouble and it will take some time for all the pitfalls to be realized. I wonder how many chickens they will need to buy before they last through the egg laying stage. What happens in the winter? I also can't wait for the chickens to wake up Travis or Chuck...that will be funny. I pretty much sleep through anything and Trav is an early riser, but it will be amusing if they are disturbed by it to see what they do.

On Sunday Trav and I also decided to watch one of the two movies we had sent to us from Netflix, oh, about 3 months ago (can't seem to remember to cancel that membership), but the sound for the DVD wouldn't work. We messed with it, using our handy dandy headlights, courtesy of the parents at Christmas, for about 30 minutes - plug in here, plug out there, change input, switch back, yadda, yadda...we gave up. I asked Chuck to stop by before work and see if he could figure it out...he comes in kneels down, plugs in ONE plug and BINGO...SOUND!! I KNOW we plugged those cords into those ports - I KNOW IT! How embarrassing. I felt like a 90 year old Grandma getting a cell phone for the first time - don't turn it on because it might ring!!!

On Friday I decided to call my Mom because I needed a "poor baby" moment with her. She always makes me feel better. I called and got Dad...uh, oh...I don't want to make Dad feel bad by asking for Mom (I do anyway) and he tells me she is outside with some neighbors. So I did a bit of crying with him and told him what to do to make me feel better "tell me how great I am Dad" :) He did what he could and said he would have Mom call me the next day. It wasn't quite what I was looking for, but so super sweet and I do love my Dad. I actually did sort of wait for that call all weekend...never came...Trav said it was because I am the 6th favorite (ha, ha)...I told him I thought Dad may have neglected to pass along the "poor baby" message. Mom called me tonight...NAUGHTY Dad didn't give her my message until late last night...I KNEW IT!

Don't worry, nothing too crazy going on, just working a lot and feeling a tad overwhelmed at the moment...SACRIFICE IS TEMPORARY!! My office has gotten me a temp employee while we get a more permanent solution in place, so relief is on the horizon. I just wish there had been a few months to ease into our new system/a new account/implementing new processes/moving into a new space/etc. There has just been so much, so fast and I don't want to let anyone down...including my husband who I'm sure is wondering if single life isn't so bad after all!! :)

After my melt down we saw the left over carcass of a 2 ton truck that had been mashed up by a semi on I80 as we made our way to Costco to stock up on mostly unnecessary, but yummy, stuff for the next few weeks. It was CRAZY - I just cannot imagine the person who was driving the truck actually survived. If they did, they should be on a commercial about the safety benefits of that particular make and model. I have never seen a car, let a lone a big truck, look that mangled. Many thoughts went through my head on that drive - gratitude most of all that it was not someone I loved and that life is not all THAT bad, I thought about how we all forget to be present when we drive and I wondered how the Semi driver would not know he/she was mashing a car to bits and move back over into the middle lane? Then I felt swamped with guilt that I had thought of myself first, so I pushed a prayer out to the victim hoping they did survive and that their loved ones would be present for them.

Then tonight Travis made yet another AMAZING meal...it is becoming easier and easier to eat very light lunches knowing I will be in for a treat in the evening. Travis made salmon w/lemon butter  & herbs smoked on a cedar plank with the new favorite kale salad as the side dish. That salmon just melted in my mouth - I could not believe how amazing it was.  It even looked amazing - it was so pretty and he garnished it with a round slice of lemon - it looked as good as it tasted. Travis really is the light of my life these days - I am so grateful to have him in my life.

Finally, tonight I get to go up and snuggle into nice clean sheets. I changed them yesterday, but it is one of my favorite things to get into clean sheets when it is nice and crisp outside (not cold, just crisp), especially when they smell so good. Ah, relaxing.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Ninety-nine percent of people allow the quality of their life to be determined by the thoughts of strangers." Not sure who said this first...but we should all stop doing this. 


2 comments:

  1. My first thought: man they have Giant Nuts in Park City. Thanks for the recap. I wish I could get there sooner to be your relief assistant. I am sure they are holding the job for me. Dang it! Yes, you do have a lot on your plate.....but like you said, at least it is in one piece and not a mangled piece of metal. It will get better, you will adapt and conquer.

    What a lucky girl you are to have such a wonderful chef at home. Sounds wonderful. I still have not made your salad....I doubt I will until I have an actual sample of it over the summer. Lets please plan for that.

    The snap shot of my week is kid after kid having the flu. Can't tell you what a bad aim Lawson is. Can't imagine how he got spew over every square inch of the toilet, walls, and t.p. holder surrounding the pot ??? But....I didn't get mad, must have been a bad situation in the middle of the night. I only gave him a short lecture on being so verbally rough on McCauley for getting a little drop on the tile and in the sink. You should have heard him!!! I gave him the what for for that.

    R and L are home today taking turns in the bathroom. So....count your blessings again dear sister : ) Love you!!

    PS - would love to help you out next time you need a "poor baby"....I could never be as good as mom....but I may surprise you and be a little better than dad. I am always here, just a phone call away : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man...one salad coming up in July when you get here. Everyone is so excited to see you guys! We got together today to celebrate Keri's Birthday - oh AND yours and Jason's (neither one here) AND Mother's day...what 'ev - ya can't jam everything into just one day. I hope everyone made it thru the flu...I hate the flu. I remember having a pan by the couch when I was sick once and barfed - it bounced right out of the pan and all over me and the couch. Do you remember how Mom used to boil jello and give it to us to drink? I used to love that stuff...until it came back up again. I DO count my blessings. I think I would rather work 80 hours per week for a few months than barf...or clean up barf - oh, wait, I just cleaned up Bart's barf this morning.

    Thanks for that wonderful P.S. I might just call you next time. Thanks Sis. Love you. HB

    ReplyDelete