Sunday, April 14, 2013

Family Dinner

Have I mentioned what an amazing cook Travis is? I am sure I have, but he really is an amazing cook. Lately we have had the most amazing and easy salad...

Kale (de-veined and cut into fine pieces)
Pour a few tablespoons of olive oil over the whole thing
1 whole lemon squeezed over the top
mix well (kale is best if broken up and roughly man handled)
add dried cranberries
add toasted pine nuts
shredded Parmesan cheese

Best salad ever...not kidding, soooo good.

Tonight Travis smoked a huge pork shoulder and we made an apple cider vinegar bbq sauce that was tangy and delicious with just a little kick to it. As the mixture cooked up, everyone started coughing - it was sort of funny and we had to open all the windows even though it is still pretty cold up here. We invited the whole family up and still had tons of left over meat that we sent home with everyone and even kept some for ourselves. I even made my sisters Choffy Cake last night and it was even better the 2nd night - everyone RAVED over desert.

All in all a very nice night and it was great to see everyone even though it gets crazy with so many kids running rough shod all over the place, not to mention 3 dogs and one very nervous cat; only one accident and it was my own dog being territorial...bad dog.

I have to brag that I have one of the best families on earth...how did I ever get so lucky? I did take two photos - one of the cook and one of the meat. I am back to having difficulty with photos on the new computer (wish I wasn't so ignorant of the ways of technology), but I will try to get Trav to help me with it. Probably should have taken a few photos of the family as well. I do have a good photo trapped in my phone from Easter...I'll try to get it posted soon (for M of course).

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: “I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and say to myself "well, that's not going to happen”  -- Rita Rudner




4 comments:

  1. Wowsers! Fun. Yum. Believe it or not K just bought a giant smoker for our family. Just came home with it and started smoking some ribs. I will tell him about Trav's successes. LOVE that you shared your saldad recipe. I am going to try it. LOVE that you made my Choffy Cake!!! yeah! So happy it was a hit. I have only heard about it not turning out for one person so far. So that is good.

    Definitely an amazing family! No doubt about it.

    TAke computer classes in all your spare time! Don't you just need to plug your phone into your key board? or computer? Can you find the cords? Does it fit into your phone? Come on, you have got to conquer this Goliath in your life.

    Favorite Quote: "running rough shod" I am going to look that up and see if it is real. I know it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - just plug the phone in, but my phone keeps showing up as a data file instead of a camera file, I change it and it reverts back. I think it is my phone and not the connection. I will have to go into verizon to figure it out.

    K should call Trav for smoking tips - don't be afraid to try many things on it. YOU will love doing chicken breasts on the smoker - 20 minutes and SOOOOO delicious. Do you like chicken?

    Is "running rough shod" a thing? I know I didn't just make it up because that would be brilliant! :) HB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't help myself..."run roughshod" is the correct idiom and means "to act in the way you want to, ignoring rules, traditions, or other people's wishes" - not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm....yes, I love that to. run roughshod. certainly don't do that enough. I LOVE chicken....we will try it. : )

    ReplyDelete