Friday, April 19, 2013

God Bless America

Yesterday morning Travis was watching the Dan Patrick show (a morning sports talk show) and, as I headed upstairs to get ready for work, I heard Dan talking about the "Star Spangled Banner" song that was sung the night before at the Boston Bruins hockey game - Dan played the sound track on his show.

After the marathon bombing this week the hockey team decided to play on in spite of the tragedy. It sounds like the stadium was full and it may have raised some controversy that the game would not be delayed or moved, so I stood upstairs in the loft listening as a lone singer started the song and the crowd almost immediately joined in. It was the most rousing experience as the voices swelled and the song was sung how it is meant to be sung; not half heartedly, but with feeling and meaning. I don't remember feeling the Spirit of America more than I did yesterday as I listened to those voices swell - I am getting choked up now just remembering it. 

Here is the video link that I found:


I have seen countless Face book posts talking about the spirit and inspiration of the marathoners and the Spirit of America and I appreciate that people have the ability to use these negative experiences to reconnect with what is most important in this life; to reset their priorities. I wish we could find more unity in daily life without these types of events to bring us together as one people. I suppose that is why there is opposition in all things...so we will recognize the good things in life when the bad things come out. 

God Bless America...

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The significance which is in unity is an eternal wonder." Rabindranath Tagore

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED that also, I was able to catch it on facebook. It was very up lifting and inspiring. I thought the same thing, we definitely know how to unite when attacked and when the opposition tries to break us, but dang if we don't have a tough time staying together and being decent to one another when we are on our own everyday terms. Why does it take a tragedy to bring us together and remind us to unite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have become so much more aware with increased gratitude for our service men and women since starting crossfit. The owner and all three coaches are active Air Force servicemen. When Bruce left to the dessert a few months ago I about lost it for his wife Sarah left here with two young kids. Some days are obviously very challenging for her.
    Bruce is getting home June 4th!
    I am happy and proud to live in a country so bold and courageous with willing people ready to fight for MY rights and My freedoms (even though they're so often taken for granted).

    ReplyDelete