Monday, July 1, 2013

Three Blind Mice...See How They Run?

Whenever I get a new car or drive a car I am unfamiliar with I always try to be more aware of the blind spots; really do a good wide neck craning to make sure there is no stray, road colored car there that I might have missed, prior to changing lanes. I do this because there are natural blind spots I am unfamiliar with - the windows are a different shape or size, they may be bigger or smaller or have tinting I am not used to.

I am on year four of driving my current car and I have become accustomed to its natural blind spots, but the other day I almost got in a wreck except for a smooth moving car who, luckily, had a lane to move to when I almost side swiped him in my unawareness of his presence and over-reliance on my mirrors. Queue "apologetic wave..."

It made me think about a question our new...not sure what his title is...but he is organizing all of us from the bottom up and will be a decision maker for our company moving forward. His name is Les and he is giving us weekly lessons in smart business practices - I have started to call them "Lesisms". A few weeks ago he asked all the staff if we know where our personal blind spots are...

One of the examples he used was how parents always want to believe the best about their children even when the proof is blatantly clear they have made an error, the parent always wants to believe it is a mistake or there is some other explanation for the incorrect action. I remember an after school special called "Not My Kid" about a high school girl that got addicted to drugs - I don't know why, but I never forgot that show.

I am not sure I can actually name my blind spots, but I'm pretty sure Travis could point some out. I'm pretty sure I may not want to know what they are...that probably isn't true, but perhaps I really DON'T want to know and maybe that is one of my blind spots. How DO we figure out where we need to do a bit more neck craning in certain areas of our lives?


  • Listening - people will tell us in both blunt and subtle ways what we need to hear if we just listen for it. If I have several people telling me the same thing, even in multiple ways, I should probably take a good look over my shoulder and then change lanes. 
  • Asking the "right" people - Travis would never want to hurt me, but I know a few people that want to see me fail. Who would be the better person to ask about my personal blind spots?
  • Reading - Les is very big on reading. Not only do we have our book of the month to get through, he gave us a reading assignment for 2 other books. Les believes he has learned more about business, communication and relationships by reading books than he ever learned in school. Reading broadens our minds and makes us ask questions. 
  • Education - Learning for me comes in many different varieties, but the important thing is to keep learning from experiences, mistakes, reading, observing, etc. These things may also open your eyes to your own blind spots as new information comes into your sphere. 

After reviewing my last several days I feel these may be some of my own blinds spots:

Blind spot #1: Today I kept getting mad because I couldn't get off the phone long enough to get any of my "tasks" done. I think I may have a slight blind spot when it comes to "righteous" anger. Perhaps I feel I am more busy than you are and therefore my time is more valuable or the explanation is not worth the time it will take to review more than once. This is something I must work on and certainly I need to stop sighing so loudly. 

Blind spot #2: I LOVE being sarcastic and joking around, but I wonder if sometimes sarcasm can be hurtful and unintentionally cruel. I need to work on this. 

Blind spot #3: I tend to be a know it all, hard to believe "I know"...enough said. 

I know it is important to recognize our own distressing short comings so we do not hurt others intentionally or otherwise. I am determined to be more patient and kind tomorrow. 

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein


3 comments:

  1. What?....."but I know a few people that want to see me fail", why do you say that?

    Great post. Hmmmm, blind spots. My blind spots - The kids say I don't say please all the time. I don't believe them......but it has come up more than once lately, so that is definitely a blind spot.

    Not listening well to Kev - he has mentioned his disappointment in the past on this one several times. Not much lately....Maybe I am improving??

    I have also been accused of not saying I'm sorry when necessary. Maybe that is the only way we can see our blind spots, for someone else to point it out to us. THAT IS WHY IT IS A BLIND SPOT.....we personally can't see it. Makes sense.

    Love the quote, and your thought provoking post. Thanks!

    See you soon : )

    Are you and T going to the rodeo and camping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rodeo - I will be going for the day on Saturday - I assume Trav will go with me, but we will most likely not spend the night.

      Delete
  2. Man, you are a thinker!
    Blind spots!, seems like I avoid them... I know a couple that are blareingly obvious though to me and others.

    COMMUNICATION SKILLS!!! LISTENING, talking, texting, emailing, showing thoughtfulness. (turns out having thoughts and expressing them to someone are real different!!)
    Admitting fault! Dang... wish this was a strength of mine but low, it is NOT! I agree Min on this one, first you have to get out of oblivion and see there is a problem.

    READING!! UUuuggHH. I know knowledge is power and all that. I guess maybe the Blind Spot here is kind of like: can't is spelled L-A-Z-Y! too lazy to try! as Mom always said.
    Lots more are coming to mind, but I have a parade to rush off to!...
    Saved by the float! J/K the kaysville parade doesn't have floats! Man, the heat bites, and I haven't even gone out yet!
    Can't wait to see you min, and Hug, really looking forward to seeing you today, knowing how kind and patient you are going to be feeling!!! :)Love you tonz!!

    ReplyDelete