Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Free Books for Sale

I was just in the middle of a "whoa is me" post when I remembered something GREAT that happened this weekend; actually, one of many great things that happened. I went to the library on Saturday, paid my $28 late fee (Hey, Summit County Library, your welcome to the donation due to my irresponsibility) and checked out a few books on CD and a few books to read. I LOVE going to the library and have learned it is essential to MAKE time to do this every month or so AND to make time to renew my books online every few weeks as well, but I digress; as I was leaving the library I saw a "book sale" sign and ventured in for a look see.

WOW - $.50 for a hard back and $.25 for a paperback books. I walked out of there with $8 worth of books (that is 12 books). It would have been more if I could have carried more - what a DEAL!! I felt like I was getting away with stealing...FROM the library. The only hard thing to do when I got home was to decide whether I should read a free library book (not actually free when I am paying $28) OR a relatively free book that I might mix up with my free library books...oh the wonderful dilemma's we face in life. 

I admit to using two of the relatively free books to boost up the disposable paint trays that Trav purchased (I didn't realized you need a REAL tray to put underneath them to keep them upright so the paint doesn't just slide out of the thing - I also asked Trav to purchase a long handled paint roller - he came home with just the stick because I didn't specify that I needed the actual roller to attach...men...I couldn't very well send him back to the store for a 3rd time could I?) so I could stain the dinner deck on Monday (see another great thing that happened this past weekend), but I needed a quick solution and there it was for $1...Multi-tasking books, who knew? 

I am reading one right now that I was immediately drawn to...it is called "Do It! Let's get off our buts". Here are some examples that I related to immediately:

"I want to be healthier, but..."
"I know how important it is to love myself, but..."
"I want a fulfilling career, but..."
"I want a nurturing relationship, but..."

You get the idea. Anyway, so far my favorite part are all the quotes scattered throughout the book. I have even started skimming ahead to read them - mostly I am excited to share them as my daily, ok, not quite daily, "Diva Quote" to share on my blog posts.

I also loved one part that explains the true meaning of "but" - it is the one word that makes everything that came before it mean absolutely nothing. "You look great in that shirt, BUT that color doesn't suit you". The truer meaning to that sentence is "you should change your shirt". I will not be using that word in the same way from now on, but I will most likely still use it here and there. :) 

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

4 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! I LOVE Library sales. I frequent them often, many times like you I have accidentally stumbled upon them, and leave with arm loads of books....really it was only 24 last time!! But at those prices!!!! We have no room, I will be cleaning off the shelfs yet again.
    I love your BUT Book.....sounds excellent. Who could not benefit from it? We all do it. I hope you finish it before we roll into town, that way I can get off my butt and read it, but I won't keep it, you may need to prop up a wobbly table or something with it. I will certainly return it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FOUND THIS:
    There are things that you do incredibly well. There are things that you love to do so much you hardly feel like you’re working when you do them. It is your purpose, your core genius, and if you got paid to do it you would make it you life’s work. You have been developing our core genius and defining your purpose and formulating steps to take to achieve success with it. It is time to evaluate how much time you actually spend doing what you love to do.

    When you know your core genius, you’ve got to find a way to devote yourself to perfecting it. You have got to spend as much time with it as possible. So learn to delegate and delegate completely! When you have found someone to accomplish the tasks that take up your time, let them know exactly what you want and then give them the freedom to accomplish it. There is no sense in micromanaging! Find someone you trust to do the job and do it well then leave them alone unless you are not happy with the results.

    What are some things that you don’t particularly care doing? How much time do you spend every week doing those things? Imagine spending that time doing what you love to do while someone else is enjoying doing what you used to be doing. It’s a win/win situation!

    (this is just a snip of the article.....good ideas though)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a speaker we had come to the office not long ago - it was then that I decided I would get a house keeper to clean for me every other week. I never did get that set up, but I did look up some information. I have decided I'm not a very good delegator - this is something I get to work on. I love the advice - it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete