Saturday, March 16, 2013

Vegas Baby...Yes, Again...

I was in Las Vegas, NV again all last week for the CENTURY 21 Global Convention. Talk about the last place I should have been when the move season is picking up speed. Guess what I was doing every day and night while I was supposed to be taking classes? That's right...working. I am glad to be going back to my office full time on Monday - it will be a relief.

I will say that Vegas is BEAUTIFUL in March. The weather was in the 70's, the sun was out, the sky was blue...it was just amazing. The best part of the whole trip was our hotel room at the Aria - this is the new hotel in the City Center. I traveled down with Kim from work and when we opened the door to our room the lights turned on, the TV started playing elevator music and the blinds slid open to reveal the strip - it was amazing. The only problem was we couldn't figure out how to operate everything remotely...the room was a little too smart for me, but we got by in the end.

One night Kim was going to sleep and I was finishing some emails and she hit "good night" on the light switch...swoosh go the blinds, black goes all the lights in the entire place. It was super funny. Then another night I woke up at 4 a.m. because Kim was laughing hysterically in her sleep...that was also SUPER funny. The other best part of the trip was every morning when I woke up and asked Kim if I woke her with my snoring, she told me she does not think I snore...HA! I told her she is probably a deeper sleeper than she thinks, but I was super relieved and couldn't wait to tell Travis when I got home. He just said he would record me so I would be unable to dispute the fact that I do indeed snore...loudly. Gee, thanks.

Our hotel was actually across the street from Planet Hollywood where the convention took place. When I checked into the room I asked what the best, most direct route would be to cross the strip to our event and was told "go around this way (pointing) and get on the tram to the Bellagio, walk through that building and follow the path past the fountain to the street where there are cross walks, but really the fastest way to go is via Taxi." Hmmm...ok.

I took this route the first morning and it took 30 minutes to get to the convention...I did this 4 times the first day, all the while noticing there seemed to be a bridge that went over the street that might be faster. I asked about the bridge that evening when I was going back to the room and was told there was no direct access to the bridge. The next morning I was running late and asked again for directions to the bridge. A nice guy was headed that way and told me where to go...I started walking and realized I was not headed in the right direction AND I had forgotten the ticket I needed for the invitation only event I was headed to...ARGH...back to the room, grab tickets, get a taxi, try not to cry...it only took 5 minutes, but cost me $10.

After the breakfast I decided to try the bridge from the Planet Hollywood side of the street...TOTAL straight shot back to my hotel and it only took 10 minutes...The reason I am NOT totally irritated about this still today, is I got to see the Bellagio fountain several times and that hotel has some beautiful gardens in it that I enjoyed walking through everyday. I also got 2 hours of walking in on the first day, sure I had blisters and my feet swelled up, but I can't remember the last time I walked for two hours; plus, I now know my way around the tram system for next time we visit and was able to take the bosses home that way after they treated us to the Bellagio buffet for dinner (all you can eat crab people!! A very nice treat).

One last thing I want to mention - I drove the whole way to Las Vegas and back. This was quite a feat for me. I normally don't drive at all on road trips, but this time I did it and it felt pretty good actually. Kim and I talked the whole time, or were doing business, and I really enjoyed her company. Kim is such an easy going, kind person with a great sense of humor - It was so fun to room and drive with her.

I have photos, but can't figure out how to get them off my phone onto this new computer. I see that Travis managed it, so will pull and download them tomorrow morning.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Las Vegas looks the way you'd imagine heaven must look at night." Chuck Palahniuk

1 comment:

  1. Man.......you are a jet setter girl!! Those hotel people sound retarded...sorry, but wake up peeps. Did they speak english? Ok, had to rant just a little. That room does sound SO DANG COOL!!! Talk about rich, and high tech. You were there an entire work week? Wow. We will be in Vegas for the Choffy Convention in August. I am thinking it will be a tad hotter then, looking forward to it for sure.
    I'll be watching for the pics. : )

    ReplyDelete