Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Roof Over Head

I am writing tonight with the express purpose to show gratitude for a roof that does not leak. I know I have written about our roof issues in the past and tonight I can report the issue is resolved. It wasn't free, but I am grateful we had the means to handle the project that, expensive as it was to us, is priceless for peace of mind.

Living in Summit Park brings with it many amazing features in nature, most of which are big...BIG snow storms, BIG rain storms, BIG moose; since we have moved into our home we have also experienced some BIG repairs. The first time our roof leaked we had a roofer come up to do some work on the areas we suspected were the issue...problem solved. NOPE. We had them come back out - still no go. We had the roofers come out over 5 times to work on the same issue and they were never able to solve the problem.

Over the last 3 years we contemplated just repairing the section that gave us the most grief and we probably could have gotten away with it, but in the end we decided to go for broke and replace the whole thing so we could get a long time warranty on the work and feel confident we took care of the issue. Travis got 3 bids and we got the work started.






Can you believe the whole roof is in the picture listed above? Let's forget for a minute this is the wrong product and had to be removed and the new stuff brought in - another story for another day and just the name of the game when doing a large construction project. You may also be wondering why the siding was removed from the house. Well, one of the problems was the siding was installed incorrectly and was one of the main reasons the roof was leaking. we had the whole upper level installed with new siding that now we have to paint, but it looks good and we feel it will solve the issue.

The roof took about 6 weeks to completely finish. During this time there were about 4 major rain storms - we thought the leaking roof was bad before? We had to move our leather couches out of our living room because the roof was creating such an issue for us during one storm and it just makes me that much more grateful the project is done.


One of my favorite pictures. That skylight there looks right into our master bedroom and bathroom. Talk about a surprise the first day they were up there and barely making it around the bend to huddle in the only blind spot in the room, wrapped in a towel, waiting for them to move on. After that experience I was sure to be dressed for the day no later than 7:00 a.m. and I didn't even chance using the 'facilities' after that time.

We actually have talked a lot since we moved here about covering up the skylight. It makes it pretty hot in the room during August, but they covered the skylight up for a few days while they were working and I cannot believe how dark and dreary it was up there...we left it and I am glad to feel confident I would have hated not having it.

On Sunday there was a HUGE rain storm. I think this is the first real rain storm I was actually able to enjoy since we moved here 3 years ago, knowing the roof was doing it's job.


 
Now we just need to paint the new wood and all will be set for winter. The very week the roof was done I took these amazing photos of a rainbow on my way to work. I felt like it was there just for me.



I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow








1 comment:

  1. I relate to this experience so much. GRATITUDE. The thrill of having a long over due home project finally taken care of properly. Leaks are such a kill joy. I still struggle with relaxing during hard rains.....It was SO stressful before. I am getting better, though, time heals most wounds, my memory also helps me with issues that were painful. Very happy for you guys!!! Enjoy that roof for all it's worth. Priceless like you said. Your home is comfortable, solid, safe, sturdy, and most important.......LEAK PROFF!!! Guaranteed!! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete