Monday, August 12, 2013

Cedar's Shakespeare

I attempted to take a few days off work last Thursday and Friday to spend some time at the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, UT with my Mother-in-law (Joleen) and Sister-in-law (Vikki). I actually had a pretty great time.

I had different expectations of the festival than I actually experienced. I pictured lots of medieval costumes, there were some, and I thought ALL the plays were Shakespeare plays...nope. We saw a total of 4 plays in 2 days.

The first night we saw "Loves Labors Lost" - this IS a Shakespeare play. We learned this was one of his first comedies written and performed. It is about a tiny kingdom and a Prince who enlists his friends to do nothing but study for three years - no overindulgence of any kind and no women. Well, here comes a princess and her buddies on an errand from a neighboring kingdom, one with which this other smaller kingdom has a treaty with. Needless to say, shenanigans ensue and lots of things are said that escaped me, but the actors did a fantastic job translating the feelings into the speeches so, even if I missed something that was said, I still followed what was going on. I only nodded off a few times.

The next morning we went to a 'reading' of a new play being put in production. There was just a table and some chairs on the stage and the actors had their binders open and were semi-reading the lines of the play. It was pretty incredible how they were still able to convey all the emotion behind the words and I realized we didn't even need the costumes and the scenery to experience the play. This one was called "Shunned" and is about an Amish boy who falls in love with the theatre and struggles with the choices he needs to make concerning his life's commitment to his family and way of life. It was pretty sad and thought provoking.

The afternoon play was "Anything Goes" - this was a pure musical. LOT's of costume changes, great dancing and singing, funny dialogue, old Hollywood glam...really fun. I did fall asleep a few times, but I was still entertained by a very good show.

The last, and best, show was "Peter and the Star Catcher". This play is the pre-qual of how Peter Pan became the boy that stays a boy, can fly and comes to be on the Island of Neverland. It was very unique, the way they used the props of the play. I don't think I can even explain it on this post, but there was very little use of actual scenery, but props of people and ropes were used to fashion doors and stairs - it sounds strange, and it was, but it really worked. This is the only play I watched that I didn't actually nod off in - it was action packed, funny and smart.

Besides plays, we did a bit of shopping, ate every meal out (some were VERY good), watched a few green shows (pre-shows with dancing, singing and terrible comedy), had a run in with a transvestite, laughed a lot, cried just a little, overreacted to my excellent driving skills, bought a bushel of peaches, stopped by the cheese factory on the way home to stock up on cheese curd, watched to make sure the price of chicks did not exceed 99 cents, shared a room with snoring (me), early rising (Joleen), deep sighing (Vikki) ladies who were very easy going and fun companions.

I'd do it again - and next time I'll bring my Mom as well.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." -- Henry Miller



Good Times


2 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds so fun! I love Anything Goes! Now I want to trek down and see it (o:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds lovely HB. A unique adventure away with people you don't get to spend much time with. It also sounds like your exhaustion reared its sleepy head a few times (the nodding off is me to a T), hope you felt rejuvenated when you arrived back home. I really enjoy live shows. It is amazing the time and preparation the actors put into their performances.....and in turn, the JOY that they feel putting on the show for their audience.

    Fun pic!

    I'd love for you to post about your autograph session. I do NOT like this second book of hers....I am skimming it like crazy (cuz I for some reason can't not finish a book once started, unless it is wildly inappropriate), it is called the Highway Man of Tanglewood I think. thumbs down.....maybe it is because I am off vacation and out of that free-time/ fun time mind set. It is back to work as usual.

    ReplyDelete